What is a prebiotic?
A prebiotic is a compound, often a sugar, that provides nutrition for the beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract.
What is a probiotic?
A probiotic is an ingested substance, often a bacteria, that provides support to the gastrointestinal tract. Bacterial probiotics are commonly used to populate the gastrointestinal tract with healthy bacteria.
Why prebiotics and probiotics?
Prebiotics and probiotics are indicated for support of a healthy digestive tract.
What are some specific indications for pre and probiotics?
- Regular maintenance of a healthy digestive tract.
- For additional support during disturbances of the gastrointestinal tract.
- To provide for a smooth transition from one type of food to another.
- When antibiotics are being administered concurrently.
- During periods of stress or anxiety to support a healthy digestive tract (i.e. boarding, travel, etc.)
Can prebiotics and probiotics be used on a daily basis?
Yes. Prebiotics and probiotics are very safe.