Tomlyn Equine Supplements Can Help Keep Horses Healthy in Winter Months
FORT WORTH, TX, November 14, 2017 – Winter can be hard on horses, from the cold temperatures to the close quarters of the barn. “Regardless of your horse’s job – be it competition or pleasure — keeping him active with proper nutrition during winter months is essential to maintaining their health during the off-season,” says Jennifer Kasten, DVM, technical services veterinarian for Tomlyn® Veterinary Science (www.tomlyn.com).
Dr. Kasten highlights four ways to help benefit your horse’s health and well-being during the cold weather:
- Keep Moving: Fall and winter months are an important time for your competition horse to recover and condition in preparation for the next season, so keeping him moving is key. Have your horse walk forward with impulsion for 20-30 minutes per day to maintain joint mobility and strengthen his muscles. This can be performed in a number of ways – such as arena riding, lungeing or using a hot-walker or an underwater treadmill if you have access to one.
- Stretch Out: Stretching exercises can help increase flexibility and rage of motion, improve performance and help prevent injuries. Speak with your veterinarian on which stretching exercises are most appropriate and beneficial for your horse.
- Supplement for Health:
- To provide further support for your horse’s joints, consider adding a supplement such as Tomlyn Equistro® Artphyton to his regimen. “Equistro Artphyton contains key ingredients to contribute to your horse’s all around joint health,” says Dr. Kasten. “Glucosamine and devil’s claw in the product help support joint mobility.”
- Stabling your horse for the winter can also impact his respiratory and gastrointestinal health. Barns can be dusty, poorly ventilated and put horses in close quarters with each other, all of which can challenge a horse’s immune and respiratory systems. “Adding a supplement such as Tomlyn’s EPIC Daily Immune Support for Horses can provide extra support throughout the season thanks to the presence of N-Acetylcysteine, probiotics, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids,” suggests Dr. Kasten. “The EPIC technology specifically helps enhance the immune response in the face of common respiratory and gastrointestinal challenges.”
- Catch Colic Early: Your horse has a very sensitive digestive system, which can become stressed during the seasonal transition. With a lack of green grass to graze, most owners will switch horses to hay which is much dryer. A horse also may not drink as much water as he does during hot weather, and he won’t be moving around as much when brought to stable. These can all lead to impaction colic which can be very painful for your horse, and if not addressed promptly, may be life-threatening for your horse. Dr. Kasten recommends making sure your horse stays hydrated by keeping water buckets clean and free of ice during the fall and winter months, and keeping him moving with regular exercise to help prevent signs of colic.
Tomlyn’s line of equine products are available in local feed stores nationwide. For more information and where to buy, visit www.tomlyn.com.
Tomlyn, an animal health and wellness company founded in 1976, carries a complete line of scientifically developed, veterinarian-approved animal health products. The company’s wide selection of product categories range from immune support, vitamins, digestive support and hairball remedies, to joint and hip support, calming aids and sanitizers. Tomlyn has expanded into the equine and bovine industry most recently with the EPIC® line and now the addition of three new Equistro® equine health supplements. Tomlyn is owned by the eighth-largest veterinary pharmaceutical company in the world.